New Brunswick in Middlesex County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The State University of New Jersey
Designed by New York City architect Van Campen Taylor (Rutgers College, Class of 1867), Winants Hall was Rutgers’ sole dormitory until 1914. It is named for Garret E. Winants, a wealthy philanthropist from Bayonne who in 1889 presented a sketch of a proposed dormitory building and funded its construction. In the late 1940’s the building was converted for use by departments and administrative offices of the University. Following a two-year restoration, Winants Hall was rededicated on November 9, 1990.
New Jersey Register of Historic Places
January 29, 1973
National Register of Historic Places
July 2, 1973
Location. 40° 29.902′ N, 74° 26.774′ W. Marker is in New Brunswick, New Jersey, in Middlesex County. Marker can be reached from Somerset Street near College Street. Touch for map. This marker is on Winants Hall which is at the end of the entrance drive of the Queens Campus of Rutgers University. This building is closest to the corner of College Avenue and Somerset Street. Access can be gained by foot from several locations or by car from Somerset and George Streets. Marker is in this post office area: New Brunswick NJ 08901, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Rutgers 9/11 Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Class of 1924 Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Van Nest Hall (a few steps from this marker); Old Queens (within shouting distance of this marker); Queen’s College (within shouting distance of this marker); Men of Rutgers College (within shouting distance of this marker); Theological Education in Old Queens (within shouting distance of this marker); Queen’s Campus (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Brunswick.
Categories. • Education • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 6, 2008, by Gary Nigh of Trenton, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,172 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 6, 2008, by Gary Nigh of Trenton, New Jersey. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.