Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fort Klamath in Klamath County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
 

Site of Fort Klamath

Established 1863

 

—Abandoned 1889 —

 
Site of Fort Klamath Marker image. Click for full size.
By Douglass Halvorsen, December 1, 2012
1. Site of Fort Klamath Marker
Inscription.
Soldiers were stationed
here for protection of settlers
and travelers in early days

 
Erected by Eulalona Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
 
Location. 42° 41.647′ N, 121° 58.338′ W. Marker is in Fort Klamath, Oregon, in Klamath County. Marker is on Crater Lake Highway (Route 62), on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Klamath OR 97626, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The First Sawmill (approx. 0.2 miles away); Ft. Klamath Frontier Post (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fort Klamath Military Cemetery Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away); The Town of Fort Klamath (approx. 1.4 miles away); Collier Memorial Logging Museum (approx. 5.8 miles away); Crystal Recreation Area (approx. 10 miles away); UMC Indian Mission (approx. 12.6 miles away).
 
More about this marker. This marker was originally dedicated on March 4, 1939 and was restored and re-dedicated August 21, 1961.
 
Regarding Site of Fort Klamath.
Site of Fort Klamath Marker image. Click for full size.
By Douglass Halvorsen, December 1, 2012
2. Site of Fort Klamath Marker
This Fort Klamath roadside historical marker highlights the history of Fort Klamath, which was established in 1863 and abandoned in 1889. This fort was built in order to aid in overseeing nearby Klamath Agency Indian Reservation as well as to protect the influx of settlers emigrating through this area from potential attacks by the native Klamaths who saw many incoming settlers as invaders


The former Fort Klamath site is now a park museum and contains no traces of its former existence with the exception of four graves of Modoc Indians who were executed by hanging at this location in 1873 for war crimes committed during the Modoc Indian War of 1872-73. They were Captain Jack, Schonchin John, Black Jim and Boston Charley. There is a replica of the former fort guardhouse which is the museum building and holds historical artifacts and displays.


*NOTE* The Fort Klamath Park Museum is only open from the months of June through September.
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Markers located at and near Captain Jack's Stronghold in California.
 
Also see . . .  Eulalona Chapter DAR website. Website link contains a historical photo of Fort Klamath (Submitted on December 7, 2016, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon.) 
 
Categories. Forts, CastlesSettlements & Settlers
 
Site of Fort Klamath Marker image. Click for full size.
By Douglass Halvorsen, December 1, 2012
3. Site of Fort Klamath Marker
Site of Fort Klamath Marker image. Click for full size.
By Douglass Halvorsen, December 1, 2012
4. Site of Fort Klamath Marker
Fort Klamath site in the background
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 12, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 7, 2016, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. This page has been viewed 73 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 7, 2016, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo of the grave sites of the Modoc warriors that were hanged at this site. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement