Shamrock in Wheeler County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Baptist Church of Shamrock
In 1922, membership reached 248. On March 13 of that year, the original church building was struck by lightning and burned to the ground. After using a theater and the Methodist building, the Baptists bought this Main Street site, put up a temporary tabernacle, and completed a new church in 1926. A parsonage was built on the lot at Sixth and Wall. A third sanctuary was erected and dedicated in1973.
Pastors succeeding the Rev. J. W. Slaton have been the Revs. H.G. Finley, R.F. Hamilton, H.A. Goodwin, H.C. Slaughter, J. Wood, Arnspiger, James E. McClurkin, John R. Rice, C. A. Baxter, E. T. Smith, Vernie Pipes, E. C. Derr (two calls), Clifton Tennison, James O. Todd, J. Ed Byers, Meredith Wyatt, Jimmy Wilson, James Coffman, Murle Rogers, and Jim Scott.
Erected 1977 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1674.)
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 401 North Main Street, Shamrock TX 79079, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Shamrock Methodist Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Shamrock’s St. Patrick’s Day Celebration (approx. 0.2 miles away); Welcome to Blarney Stone Plaza (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Legend of St. Patrick and the Shamrock (approx. 0.2 miles away); Shamrock Water Tower (approx. ¼ mile away); Tower Building (approx. 0.6 miles away); Lela School (approx. 5½ miles away); Nicholson School (approx. 9.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Shamrock.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 8, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 8, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 157 times since then and 63 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 8, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.