Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Ann Arbor in Washtenaw County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Law Quadrangle

1924-1933

 
 
Law Quadrangle Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, December 8, 2016
1. Law Quadrangle Marker
Inscription. University of Michigan alumnus William W. Cook (1880, 1882law) believed that the character of the legal profession depended on the character of Law Schools, and that the character of the Law Schools forecasted the future of America. In support of this he offered to donate the funds to build adequate facilities for the Law School. His gift enabled the construction of four buildings, the Lawyers Club (1924), the John P. Cook Building (1930), named for the donor's father, the William W. Cook Legal Research Library (1931), named for the donor, and Hutchins Hall (1933), named for former Law Dean and University President Harry B. Hutchins. At the time it was the largest gift from a single individual to a state college in Michigan. Designed by noted New York architects Edward Palmer York and Philip Sawyer, the buildings were constructed of Weymouth seam-face granite in the Gothic Revival style, based on English precedents. In recognition of this unique gift, the Regents in 1937 named the entire complex the William W. Cook Quadrangle. A 1981 underground addition to the Legal Research Library was designed by Gunnar Birkerts, and named for former Law School Dean, Vice-President for Academic Affairs, and Interim President Allan Smith, and his wife Alene.
 
Erected 2006 by History and Traditions Committee,
Law Quadrangle Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, December 8, 2016
2. Law Quadrangle Marker
View through the arch looking toward the Law Research Library.
University of Michigan. (Marker Number 17.)
 
Location. 42° 16.486′ N, 83° 44.363′ W. Marker is in Ann Arbor, Michigan, in Washtenaw County. Marker is at the intersection of South University Avenue and South State Street, on the right when traveling east on South University Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in the archway of Munger Residences in the Lawyer's Club that leads to a large courtyard the Law Quadrangle. Marker is at or near this postal address: 551 South State Street, Ann Arbor MI 48109, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Martha Cook Building (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); William L. Clements Library (about 400 feet away); The Denison Archway (approx. 0.2 miles away); Engineering at Michigan (approx. 0.2 miles away); Social and Political Change on South University (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Corners of South University and East University Avenues (approx. 0.2 miles away); East University Avenue Campus Boundary (approx. 0.2 miles away); Michigan Summer Symposium in Theoretical Physics (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ann Arbor.
 
Also see . . .  Law Club. (Submitted on October 9, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.)
 
Categories. Education
 
Munger Residences in the Lawyers Club image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, December 8, 2016
3. Munger Residences in the Lawyers Club
View from South University Avenue.
Cook Legal Research Library image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, December 8, 2016
4. Cook Legal Research Library
View from the arch at the Lawyer's Club across the courtyard.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 17, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 9, 2016, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 194 times since then and 67 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 9, 2016, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.
Paid Advertisement