Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
The Old Windmill and Reservoirs
The Windmill fell into disuse, and was converted to a signal station in 1861. It was also used as a fire look-out, and for pioneer radio and television broadcasting experiments in the 1920's - 1940's. The extant copper time-ball was dropped regularly from 1895 to 1930 at 1 p.m.
Of the adjacent Reservoirs, the smaller was built in 1871 in association with the Enoggera Dam Water Supply Works. This was the first major municipal engineering undertaking in Queensland, servicing Queen, George and Edward Streets. The second larger structure was completed in 1882.
The Reservoirs are brick, box-form structures with subterranean, arched, baffle walls. The timber and corrugated iron roofs are later additions.
Erected by Brisbane City.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 239 Wickham Terrace, Spring Hill, Brisbane, Queensland 4000, Australia.
Categories. • Communications • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 11, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 10, 2016, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 299 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 10, 2016, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.