Voormalig Klooster en Later Weeshuis / Former Monastery and Later Orphanage
Dating to before 1290, some parts of the "Regular" Monastery were still preserved, including a large part of the monastery and convent buildings around the quadrangle and cloister. After the Reformation in 1582, the monastery housed the St. Elizabeth Orphanage, which was founded in 1491 by Evert van Zoudenbalch in the area of Achter Clarenburg- and Vredenburg-streets (~600 M. north of the marker site). The main building with stone foundation dates back to 1839. In 1925, having been renamed the Reformed Church Orphanage in the 18th Century, the orphanage was relocated to Nieuwegracht 98.
Location. 52° 5.236′ N, 5° 7.296′ E. Marker is in Utrecht, Utrecht. Marker Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Oudegracht 245, Utrecht 3511, Netherlands.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. De Zakkendrager / The Porters (within shouting distance of this marker); Doopsgezinde Kerk / Mennonite Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Geboortehuis van Paus Adriaan / Birthplace of Pope Adrian (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Jacobsgasthuis / St. James' Guest House (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Mieropskameren / Mierop's Homes (about 120 meters away); Claustraal Huis van Oudemunster / Canon House of the Former Oudmunster Church (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Universiteit Utrecht / Utrecht University (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Maartensbrug en Oude Gracht / "St. Martin's Bridge" on the Old Canal (approx. 0.4 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Utrecht.
Also see . . . Oudegracht 245 (Wikipedia.nl). Short Dutch-language article providing information on the property's use as a monastery, orphanage, concert hall and cinema, refugee reception area, and art and performance space. (Submitted on December 10, 2016.)
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 10, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 10, 2016, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 128 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 10, 2016, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.