Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Hallandale Beach in Broward County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

St. Anne’s Episcopal Church

(Anglican)
"A Century of Faith and Service”

 

—Established in 1914 —

 
St. Anne’s Episcopal (Anglican) Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jay Kravetz, December 8, 2016
1. St. Anne’s Episcopal (Anglican) Church Marker
Inscription. St. Anne's Episcopal Church was established in 1914 by Melbourne Knowles, Ansel Saunders and A.L. Wilkins, all hailing from the Islands of the Bahamas. The first church services were held in a wooden building located on the corner of what in now Dixie Highway and Foster Road. The site was utilized as a Social Pool Hall from Monday to Saturday, and converted to a church sanctuary on Sundays.

In 1921, the organization purchased the current site of the church which was later destroyed by the "Great Miami Hurricane of 1926." The church sanctuary was rebuilt in 1927, but was destroyed yet again by the "Labor Day Hurricane of 1935." It is noteworthy to mention, that amidst the rubble of the 1935 Hurricane, the Church Bell was salvaged and was loaned to the City of Hallandale Beach for use as an Air-Raid warning signal during World War II.

Subsequently, in the early forties pioneer families worked tirelessly to handcraft cement blocks which were used to construct the new sanctuary. The first service in the new sanctuary was held on Palm Sunday, March 21 1948, officiated by the late Rev. John Jarrett, II. Over the century, many priests served the St. Anne's Episcopal Church congregation providing spiritual and power leadership namely: Rev. George Taylor, 1968-1977; Rev. Robert Preston, 1977-1991; Rev. Dr. Williamson S. Taylor,
St. Anne’s Episcopal (Anglican) Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jay Kravetz, December 8, 2016
2. St. Anne’s Episcopal (Anglican) Church Marker
1993-2002; and Rev. Ronald N. Fox, 2010-Present.

"We can do all things in Christ who strengthens us" Philippians 4:13

A Hallandale Beach Heritage Site

 
Erected by Hallandale Beach City Commission.
 
Location. 25° 59.576′ N, 80° 8.983′ W. Marker is in Hallandale Beach, Florida, in Broward County. Marker is at the intersection of Northwest 1st Avenue  and Northwest 7th Street, on the left when traveling north on Northwest 1st Avenue . Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 705 NW 1st Avenue , Hallandale FL 33009, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ebenezer Missionary Baptist Church (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Greater Ward Chapel (approx. 0.3 miles away); Melina's (approx. 1.3 miles away); Hollywood Publishing Company/Hollywood News Building (approx. 1.3 miles away); Wellons & McGowan (approx. 1.3 miles away); Central Arcade (approx. 1.3 miles away); Joe's Tropical Café (approx. 1.3 miles away); Morse Arcade (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hallandale Beach.
 
Categories. African AmericansChurches & Religion
 
St. Anne’s Episcopal (Anglican) Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jay Kravetz, December 8, 2016
3. St. Anne’s Episcopal (Anglican) Church Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 12, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 9, 2016, by Jay Kravetz of West Palm Beach, Florida. This page has been viewed 173 times since then and 53 times this year. Last updated on December 11, 2016, by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on December 9, 2016, by Jay Kravetz of West Palm Beach, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement