Clarendon in Donley County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First United Methodist Church of Clarendon
When the railroad arrived in 1887, Clarendon moved to its present site. The Rev. James T. Hosmer, a circuit rider, conducted Methodist services in private homes. In 1888 the Rev. Isaac L. Mills and 15 charter members organized the Methodist Episcopal Church South. In 1890 the fellowship erected a frame church building on the southeast corner of Kearney and 4th Street. Membership increased significantly after the founding in 1898 of Clarendon Methodist College, forerunner of Clarendon Junior College.
To accommodate the growing congregation, this large classical revival structure was built in 1910, during the pastorate of the Rev. O. P. Kiker. The original roof was replaced in 1950.
Erected 1978 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1884.)
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 420 South Jefferson Street, Clarendon TX 79226, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Donley County Courthouse (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Church of St. John Baptist (about 700 feet away); Stockton P. Donley (about 700 feet away); S. W. Lowe House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Funeral Business in Clarendon (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Clarendon News (approx. 0.3 miles away); St. Mary's Catholic Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); St. Stephen's Baptist Church (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Clarendon.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 12, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 12, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 231 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 12, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.