Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Sevierville in Sevier County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Sweden Furnace

 
 
Sweden Furnace Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tom Bosse, December 16, 2016
1. Sweden Furnace Marker
Inscription. 5 miles northwest, this was first called Short Mountain Furnace, using local orebank ore. Started about 1820 by Robert Shields; William K. Love and brothers operated it about 1830. Micajah C. Rogers bought it and changed its name in 1836. It closed in 1840, following the panic of 1837 and deterioration in quality of ore.
 
Erected by Tennesse Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1C 32.)
 
Location. 35° 52.217′ N, 83° 29.85′ W. Marker is in Sevierville, Tennessee, in Sevier County. Marker is at the intersection of Long Springs Road (Tennessee Route 339) and Newport Highway (Tennessee Route 411), on the left when traveling north on Long Springs Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sevierville TN 37876, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Harrisburg Covered Bridge (approx. 1.1 miles away); a different marker also named Harrisburg Covered Bridge (approx. 1.1 miles away); Forks of Little Pigeon Church (approx. 3.6 miles away); Forks of The River Cemetery Park (approx. 3.6 miles away); Forks of the Little Pigeon Cemetery
Sweden Furnace Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tom Bosse, December 16, 2016
2. Sweden Furnace Marker
(approx. 3.6 miles away); James McMahan (approx. 3.8 miles away); Thomas Atchley (approx. 3.8 miles away); Isaac Thomas (approx. 3.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sevierville.
 
Also see . . .  Panic of 1837. (Submitted on December 16, 2016, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee.)
 
Categories. Industry & Commerce
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 17, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 16, 2016, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 344 times since then and 55 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 16, 2016, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement