Knox County / Sevier County
Established 1792; named in honor of Maj. Gen. Henry Knox Washington's Chief of Artillery in the Revolutionary War. Secretary of War in Washington's Cabinet. One of the founders and first Secretery of the Society of Cincinnati.
Established 1794; named in honor of John Sevier Colonel in the Revolutionary Army; a commander at King's Mountain and veteran of 35 battles in the Revolution and Indian Wars; Governor of the State of Franklin; three times represented his state in Congress; first Governor of Tennessee, 1796 to 1801 and from 1803 to 1809.
Erected by Tennesse Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1C 8.)
Location. 35° 53.2′ N, 83° 47.633′ W. Marker is near Knoxville, Tennessee, in Sevier County. Marker is on Chapman Highway (Tennessee Route 441), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Seymour TN 37865, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Newell's Station (approx. 3 miles away); The Great Indian War Trail (approx. 3.3 miles away); Eusebia Church (approx. 3.8 miles away); Eusesbia Church
Also see . . .
1. Henry Knox. (Submitted on December 17, 2016, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee.)
2. The Society of the Cincinnati. (Submitted on December 17, 2016, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee.)
3. John Sevier - Wikipedia. (Submitted on December 19, 2016, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee.)
Categories. • Political Subdivisions •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 19, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 17, 2016, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 124 times since then and 53 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on December 17, 2016, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.