Near Newark in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Battle of Cooch's Bridge
Maxwell's newly-formed corps was composed of Continentals from New Jersey, North Carolina, Pennsylvania and Virginia, as well as militia from New Castle and Chester counties. For one week Maxwell's Corps had harassed and scouted the British Army under General Sir William Howe after its landing at the Head of Elk (Elkton) in late August, following orders from General George Washington to "provide every possible annoyance". Maxwell's Corps was covering the crucial main road to Philadelphia (today's Old Cooch's Bridge Road).
On the morning of September 3, the advanced guard of the British Army marched north along Old Cooch's Bridge Road into a well-prepared ambush. Elements of Maxwell's Corps opened fire on the Jägers from concealed positions along the road. The American Light Infantry was to engage the enemy and delay their advance.
After the initial surprise, the Jagers overran the first American position in hand-to-hand fighting, and the battle continued for about a half mile along the road. Howe reinforced the Jagers with two British Light
Casualties on both sides ranged from 30 to 40 dead and wounded. British pioneers buried at least 24 Americans on the field in unmarked graves. American officers engaged in the battle included John Marshall (future United States Chief Justice). Thomas Duff of Newport, Delaware, Alexander Martin (later Governor of North Carolina), and Francis Gurney (future Pennsylvania Senator and Dickinson College Trustee).
Following the battle the British Army occupied the area from Iron Hill to Aiken's Tavern (Glasgow) with General Cornwallis' headquarters located at the Cooch House. The British encamped in the area until September 8, 1777, when they marched north through Newark. On September 11 the two armies met again at the Battle of Brandywine.
Known as the Battle of Cooch's Bridge by American participants, the skirmish was the opening engagement of the Philadelphia Campaign of 1777, and is the only Revolutionary War battle fought on what became First State soil.
Tradition and considerable circumstantial evidence support the claim that the Stars and Stripes was first carried in the Battle of Cooch' Bridge.
Location. 39° 38.462′ N, 75° 43.941′ W. Marker is near Newark, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker is at the intersection of Dayetts Mill Road and Old Baltimore Pike, on the right when traveling south on Dayetts Mill Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Newark DE 19702, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Iron Hill School #112C (here, next to this marker); Historic Iron Ore Mining (here, next to this marker); Milling in Pencader Hundred (here, next to this marker); In the Beginning (here, next to this marker); Enjoy the Pencader Area Today (here, next to this marker); Your Gateway to Pencader Heritage (here, next to this marker); The Philadelphia Campaign (here, next to this marker); American Position (here, next to this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newark.
Categories. • Bridges & Viaducts • Military • Notable Events • Notable Persons • Notable Places • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 7, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 5,304 times since then and 170 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 7, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.