Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Plymouth in Amador County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

D'Agostini Winery

 
 
D'Agostini Winery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, July 5, 2008
1. D'Agostini Winery Marker
Inscription. D’Agostini Winery was started in 1856 by Adam Uhlinger, a Swiss immigrant. The original wine cellar, with walls made from rock quarried from nearby hills, hand hewn beams, and oak casks, is still in use and part of the present winery. Some original vines are still in production.
 
Erected 1961 by California State Park Commission and the James W. Marshall Chapter No. 49, E Clampus Vitus. (Marker Number 762.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
 
Location. 38° 31.967′ N, 120° 45.291′ W. Marker is in Plymouth, California, in Amador County. Marker is on Plymouth - Shenandoah Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Plymouth CA 95669, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. H. C. Farnham House 1855 (approx. 1.9 miles away); Chew Kee Store (approx. 2 miles away); Fiddletown-Oleta (approx. 2 miles away); Fiddletown (approx. 2 miles away); Shenandoah Valley (approx. 2.6 miles away); Shenandoah School
D'Agostini Winery Gate image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, July 5, 2008
2. D'Agostini Winery Gate
Winery and vineyards are visible in the background.
(approx. 2.8 miles away); City of Plymouth (approx. 6.1 miles away); The Arcade Bar (approx. 6.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Plymouth.
 
Regarding D'Agostini Winery. The vineyards celebrated by this marker are considered some of the oldest in California, with plantings and the winery dating back to 1856, thanks to the efforts of Adam Uhlinger. D'Agostini winery was started in 1911, when Enrico D'Agostini purchased the winery and its 125 acres of vineyards. In 1989 the Sobon family purchased the winery, changing its name to Sobon Estate Winery, and still run it today.

Wine is still sold under the D'Agostini Winery label, but this is from a winery based in Sonoma County, which had purchased the original D'Agostini Winery in 1984.

Sobon Estate Winery currently produces approximately 25,000 case per year, and is particularly known for its flavorful Zinfandel wines. On the winery grounds are two small museums, one displaying artifacts and objects relating to the vineyard, and the other relating to life in Amador County's Shenandoah Valley.
 
Also see . . .  Sobon Estate Winery's Website. (Submitted on July 8, 2008, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.)
D'Agostini Winery Cellar image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, July 5, 2008
3. D'Agostini Winery Cellar
The original beams and whitewashed stone walls are still visible. This section of the winery is no longer used for production, however.

 
Categories. Horticulture & ForestryIndustry & Commerce
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 22, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 8, 2008, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 2,388 times since then and 71 times this year. Last updated on December 21, 2016, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 8, 2008, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement