Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Jackson in Amador County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Site of Pioneer Jewish Synagogue

 
 
Site of Pioneer Jewish Synagogue Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, August 16, 2008
1. Site of Pioneer Jewish Synagogue Marker
Inscription. On September 18, 1857, Congregation B地ai Israel of Jackson dedicated on this site the first synagogue in the Mother Lode. High holiday worship continued until 1869 when the larger Masonic Hall was used to accommodate the congregation. The wooden structure then served as a schoolhouse until 1888. Relocated onto a nearby lot, it became a private dwelling, and was razed in 1948.
 
Erected 1976 by California State Department of Parks and Recreation. (Marker Number 865.)
 
Location. 38° 21.064′ N, 120° 46.399′ W. Marker is in Jackson, California, in Amador County. Marker is on Church Street 0 miles north of North Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. The marker is located on the rear part of the grounds of the Jackson Elementary School. Marker is at or near this postal address: 220 Church Street, Jackson CA 95642, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Brown Home (within shouting distance of this marker); Krabbenhoft Building (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Law Office (about 500 feet away); Miners' Graves (about 600 feet away); Leam's Saloon
Site of Pioneer Jewish Synagogue Marker - Wide Shot image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, August 16, 2008
2. Site of Pioneer Jewish Synagogue Marker - Wide Shot
The Jackson Elementary School is in the background.
(about 600 feet away); Sesquicentennial Court House Site (about 600 feet away); In Memoriam: The '49ers (about 600 feet away); The Court House Well (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jackson.
 
Regarding Site of Pioneer Jewish Synagogue. In Jewish Voices of the California Gold Rush: a Documentary History, 1849-1880 (2001), Ava Fran Kahn notes that the B地ai Israel congregation itself was established prior to the synagogue, having taken out an ad in the Volcano Weekly Ledger in the fall of 1856 announcing (Jewish) New Year services. By 1860, there were an estimated 35 Jews in the Jackson area. They had neither Scroll nor Torah, and had to borrow such from the San Francisco congregation for the high holidays, and the synagogue was closed the rest of the year.
 
Also see . . .  Web site for the Judah L. Magnes Museum. Founded in 1863, the Commission for the Preservation of Pioneer Jewish Cemeteries and Landmarks of the Judah L. Magnes Museum has title to the six gold-rush era Jewish cemeteries, and strives to protect and preserve the Jewish landmarks in California's Mother Lode. (Submitted on September 21, 2008.) 
 
Categories. Churches & Religion
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 22, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 21, 2008, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 1,723 times since then and 50 times this year. Last updated on December 21, 2016, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 21, 2008, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement