St. Augustine in Saint Johns County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
By the year 1870, a widowed Clarissa Fairbanks Anderson had built on her property, known as “Markland,” a gable-roofed, frame “winter cottage” for guests.
In 1885, her son, Dr. Andrew Anderson, Jr., sold part of the property to his new friend Henry Flager. Mr. Flager had Anderson Cottage moved from King Street to its present location to permit construction of the Hotel Ponce de Leon.
Forty years later, architect Fred Henderich modified the building into its Mediterranean Revival form.
Dr. Robert Ellert and Dr. JoAnn Crisp-Ellert generously gifted this property to Flager College in 2006 to ensure its preservation.
Location. 29° 53.564′ N, 81° 18.972′ W. Marker is in St. Augustine, Florida, in Saint Johns County. Marker can be reached from Sevilla Street south of Valencia Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is not clearly visible from the road. Marker is permanently mounted on the cottage south wall, near the main front entrance. Marker is at or near this postal address: 48 Sevilla Street, Saint Augustine FL 32084, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Flagler Memorial Presbyterian Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Markland Villa Zorayda (about 500 feet away); Ponce De Leon Hotel (about 500 feet away); Alcazar Hotel / City Hall (about 700 feet away); Rosario Redoubt (about 700 feet away); Tolomato Street (about 700 feet away); The Alcazar Hotel (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Augustine.
Also see . . .
1. Dr. Andrew Anderson II.
Dr. Andrew Anderson II was a physician, philanthropist, mayor and benefactor of St. Augustine, Florida.
In 1885, Anderson sold his land east of Markland to Henry Flagler as was the land of Anderson’s two half-sisters for the construction of two hotels the Ponce de León Hotel and the Alcazar Hotel. (Submitted on December 21, 2016, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Clarissa Cochran Fairbanks Anderson.
She married Dr. Andrew Anderson, Sr. March 27, 1838 in St. Augustine, Florida as his second wife. Her husband died November 7, 1939 in St. Augustine, Florida.
During the 1840's and 1850's she rented the rooms in Markland Hall to guests to supplement her income. She was a practical Yankee lady who saw this business as a way to pay her expenses when (Submitted on December 21, 2016, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Architecture • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 1, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 21, 2016, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 319 times since then and 72 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on December 21, 2016, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 7. submitted on March 1, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.