Fiddlers Creek History
The mill was first owned and operated by the Titus family, but later changed hands and became known as Agnew & Snook Mills. The Federal Census of New Jersey reveals that by 1850 the sawmill employed four workers. At the time, this mill was one of Hopewell's busiest, due to land clearing for settlement and rafting of logs down the Delaware River.
In the 1870s the complex also operated as a grist mill that milled wheat, rye, cornmeal, oatmeal, buckwheat, and feed. By the late 1870s, the sawmill ceased operation as supplies of raw wood from area forests dwindled.
In 1879 the mill was destroyed by fire. The facility was replaced by a rubber mill, which operated into the early 1900s.
Location. 40° 19.1′ N, 74° 53.436′ W. Marker is in Titusville, New Jersey, in Mercer County. Marker can be reached from Fiddlers Creek Road. Touch for map. A short hike on the trail from parking lot at Fiddlers Creek Preserve, on the south side of Fiddlers Creek
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Historic District of Titusville (approx. 0.8 miles away); William Pennís First Walking Purchase (approx. 0.9 miles away in Pennsylvania); Washington Crossing (approx. 1.3 miles away in Pennsylvania); Henry Phillips House (approx. 1Ĺ miles away); Howell Living History Farm (approx. 1.7 miles away); Johnson Ferry House (approx. 1.8 miles away); Continental Lane (approx. 1.8 miles away); Prelude to Victory (approx. 1.8 miles away).
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 27, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 30, 2016, by Russell Galen of Lambertville, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 115 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 30, 2016, by Russell Galen of Lambertville, New Jersey. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.