Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tucson in Pima County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

The Fort Lowell Flagstaff

 
 
The Fort Lowell Flagstaff Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, December 27, 2016
1. The Fort Lowell Flagstaff Marker
Inscription. The flagstaff has been the one constant feature of all military establishments since the creation of the U.S. Army in 1784.No matter what era or architectural style, the flagstaff has remained at the center of the parade ground and at the center of every army post's ceremonial traditions.

All major installations, and most outposts, in Arizona Territory during the Apache wars had flagstaffs similar to the one you see here. Fort Lowell's flagstaff was erected in March 1873. It stood sixty-five feet high and, due to the difficulty of obtaining and transporting a one-piece flagpole, was constructed in two pieces. It was painted white, with ladder steps leading up to a dark brown mid-section. Depending on the circumstances, one of three sizes of the American flag was flown from the flagpole: a 4'x8' storm flag in windy weather, a 10' x 20" post flag during pleasant condition, and a 20'x 36' garrison flag on "holidays and great occasion." Soldiers gathered here in the early morning for the raising of the flag and at sunset for its lowering.

This is Fort Lowell's third flagstaff. The original was located to the west, in what is now the middle of Craycroft Road. When the post was abandoned in 1891, much of its lumber was auctioned off. Local residents gathered up the remainder. Part of the original flagstaff was reportedly
The Fort Lowell Flagstaff Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, December 27, 2016
2. The Fort Lowell Flagstaff Marker
used as a crane in an automobile garage. The second flagpole (1978-2005) was a historical reconstruction that succumbed to age. The present flagpole was erected in 2007. A generous donation from the Arizona State Society Daughters of the American Colonists paid for this interpretive sign.
 
Erected by Arizona State Society Daughters of the American Colonists.
 
Location. 32° 15.612′ N, 110° 52.479′ W. Marker is in Tucson, Arizona, in Pima County. Marker can be reached from North Craycroft Road. Touch for map. Marker is in fort Lowell Park, just north of the museum. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2900 North Craycroft Road, Tucson AZ 85712, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Officers' Quarters (within shouting distance of this marker); The Chief Trumpeter (within shouting distance of this marker); Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Rugged Pioneer Soldiers (within shouting distance of this marker); Headquarter's Buildings (within shouting distance of this marker); Post Hospital (within shouting distance of this marker);
Photo displayed on marker. image. Click for full size.
circa 1889
3. Photo displayed on marker.
The Fort Lowell Flagstaff
Fort Lowell (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fort Lowell 1873-1891 / Post Hospital (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tucson.
 
Regarding The Fort Lowell Flagstaff. Unfortunately, in October of 2015, the flagstaff was destroyed in a microburst.
 
Categories. Forts, Castles
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 2, 2017. This page originally submitted on January 2, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 253 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on January 2, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.
Paid Advertisement