Santiago de Querétaro in Municipality of Querétaro, Querétaro, Mexico — The Central Highlands
Mexico's Ratiﬁcation of the Treaty of Guadalupe-Hidalgo
el Congreso de la Unión ratificó el Tratado
de Paz, de Guadalupe Hidalgo, firmado con
los Estados Unidos de Norte América
el 2 de febrero del mismo año.
En diciembre de 1916 se celebraron aquí, las
Juntas Previas del Congreso Constituyente.
Comisión Local de Turismo.- 1947.
In this building on May 19, 1848, the Congress of the Union ratified the Peace Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo, signed with the United States of America on February 2 of the same year.
In December 1916 the organizational meetings of the Constituent Congress were held here.
Local Tourism Commission, 1947.
Erected 1947 by Comisión Local de Turismo.
Location. 20° 35.46′ N, 100° 23.484′ W. Marker is in Santiago de Querétaro, Querétaro, in Municipality of Querétaro. Marker is on Calle Benito Juárez Sur, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 9 Calle Benito Juárez Sur, Santiago de Querétaro, Querétaro 76000, Mexico.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. José M. Arteaga (a few steps from this marker); Foundations of the Convent of San Francisco (about The Great Convent of San Francisco (about 120 meters away); Casa de los Ladrillos (about 120 meters away); The Flor Baja Fountain (about 150 meters away); The Royal Inland Road (about 180 meters away); Temple and former Convent of San Agustín (about 210 meters away); Francisco León de la Barra (about 210 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Santiago de Querétaro.
Regarding Mexico's Ratification of the Treaty of Guadalupe-Hidalgo. With the ratification of the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo Mexico lost 55% of her territory and stopped an unjust war of aggression by the United States of America. The signing of the treaty was seen by many Mexicans as a way to retain sovereignty and avoid complete U.S. control over the entire country. Querétaro had been the site of the Mexican central government since the U.S. occupation of Mexico City since September 1847.
Categories. • Politics • War, Mexican-American •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 5, 2017. This page originally submitted on January 5, 2017, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 150 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 5, 2017, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.