Orlando in Orange County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Atlantic Coastline Station
In 1880, the South Florida Railroad built a railway through Orlando. The small community boomed with land speculators, citrus and cattle investors, and tourists. In 1902, the larger Atlantic Coastline Railroad acquired the South Florida Railroad. Although three earlier Orlando stations were located on Church Street, Atlantic Coastline hired architect M.A. Griffith to design a new station on Sligh Boulevard in 1926. Griffith traveled the Pacific Coast and drew inspiration from Spanish architecture and colonial parish churches. The W.T. Hadlow Construction Company of Jacksonville received a $300,000 construction contract for the Spanish Mission style building. Twin bell towers, arches, parapet, and tile roof reflect this influence. Griffith designed the letters of "ORLANDO" over the west entrance arch. When the station was dedicated in January 1927, it attracted a crowd of more than 6,000 and became an immediate icon. The racially segregated station included a separate waiting room with ticket windows and restrooms for African American passengers on the south side of the building. Built-in curved wooden settees, once featured in both waiting rooms, remain only in the current waiting room.
Erected 2016 by The City of Orlando and the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-904.)
Location. 28° 31.572′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1400 Sligh Avenue, Orlando FL 32806, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Carver Court Public Housing Complex (approx. ¾ mile away); a different marker also named Carver Court Public Housing Complex (approx. 0.8 miles away); Mount Pleasant Baptist Church (approx. one mile away); Orlando's First Settler, Aaron Jernigan (approx. one mile away); Mathew Robinson Marks (approx. 1.2 miles away); Linton E. Allen Memorial Fountain (approx. 1.2 miles away); The Cathedral Church of Saint Luke (approx. 1.3 miles away); Orlando Reeves (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Orlando.
Categories. • Architecture • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 17, 2017. This page originally submitted on January 16, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 181 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on January 16, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.