Palmetto in Manatee County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
S.S. Lamb came here with his family from Mississippi in a covered wagon and barouche and purchased this property on February 3, 1868. Lamb laid out and named Palmetto. The Lamb home, which stood about 100 yards west of here, was built by Juliann (Madam Joe) Atzeroth, who acquired the property in 1850. A log cabin under the six oaks about sixty yards southwest of the house was used as a store by Madam Joe. It later became Palmetto's first public school, and the first religious services were held there. The first post office, established September 15, 1873 stood at 319 Ninth Avenue.
Erected 1967 by Manatee County Historical Society and Florida Board of Parks and Historic Memorials. (Marker Number F-146.)
Location. 27° 30.749′ N, 82° 34.544′ W. Marker is in Palmetto, Florida, in Manatee County. Marker is at the intersection of 10th Avenue West and Riverside Drive, on the right when traveling south on 10th Avenue West. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Palmetto FL 34221, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Palmetto Baptist Church/Dr. M.B. Harrison (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Plymouth (approx. 0.4 miles away); The 'Old' Palmetto Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away); Florida Highway Patrol School (approx. one mile away); Bealls Centennial (approx. 1.1 miles away); The Carnegie Library (approx. 1.1 miles away); Former Town of Fogartyville/Former Town of Wilhelmsenburg (approx. 1.1 miles away); First Presbyterian Church of Bradenton (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Palmetto.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 18, 2017. This page originally submitted on January 17, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 240 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 17, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. 3. submitted on January 18, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.