Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Palmetto in Manatee County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Plymouth

 
 
The Plymouth Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, December 24, 2016
1. The Plymouth Marker
Inscription. This historic property was the site of the Levi Jones homestead. The original house, constructed in 1900, is no longer standing, but had similar architectural details as the current structure. Jennie Jones Melman was born on this site August 23, 1907, as was her daughter, Jean McClean Aldrich on July 4, 1933. The McLean clan of Hopkinsville, Kentucky were early settlers of Palmetto and became farmers of importance. J.N. "Newt" McLean was a prominent businessman engaged in citrus packing and shipping.

The current residence is a reproduction of the Plymouth, a Sears Roebuck and Company mail order house that was first offered in the 1933 catalogue. Between 1908 and 1940, Sears sold about 75,000 homes by mail order. During the years of Great Depression, Americans wanted compact simple affordable housing. They welcomed the opportunity to build their own comfortable home on the lot of their choice. Sears' designs were built to last while their enduring charm is evident.

The Plymouth is a well-proportioned typical six-room bungalow. The columned porch is a common southern element with a boxed header to shade the afternoon sun. Double hung windows encourage ventilation and interior ten-foot ceilings help dissipate the heat of long summers. The flooring is quarter sawn vertical grain oak. Simple casings and baseboards reflect
The Plymouth Marker and house image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, December 24, 2016
2. The Plymouth Marker and house
the austerity of the era. This reproduction is constructed with all modern amenities, but maintains the historic spirit of Palmetto.
Historic Reproduction Consultant: Donald Klingbeil
Perkling Construction, Bradenton, Florida

 
Erected by Palmetto Historical Commission, Inc.
 
Location. 27° 31.062′ N, 82° 34.609′ W. Marker is in Palmetto, Florida, in Manatee County. Marker is at the intersection of 7th Street West and 11th Avenue West, on the left when traveling east on 7th Street West. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1040 7th Street West, Palmetto FL 34221, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Palmetto Baptist Church/Dr. M.B. Harrison (approx. 0.2 miles away); The 'Old' Palmetto Cemetery (approx. 0.3 miles away); Palmetto (approx. 0.4 miles away); Lincoln Memorial High School (approx. 1.2 miles away); Former Town of Fogartyville/Former Town of Wilhelmsenburg (approx. 1.4 miles away); Florida Highway Patrol School (approx. 1.4 miles away); Bealls Centennial (approx. 1.4 miles away); Old Memphis Cemetery (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Palmetto.
 
Categories. Architecture
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 18, 2017. This page originally submitted on January 18, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 220 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 18, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement