Rose City in Ogemaw County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Rose City / The Big Fire
By Joel Seewald, circa July 2006
1. Rose City / The Big Fire Marker
Named for the Rose family which came to Ogemaw County around 1871. Rose City originated as Churchill and was located one-half mile west of here. During the 1870s, Churchill consisted of a post office, a general store, a boardinghouse and settlers' homes. William Rose had come from New York State, drawn to the pines and hardwoods available for lumbering, and built a sawmill along Houghton Creek. Rose's son Allan, a Churchill merchant and the first postmaster, formed a lumber company with M.S. French of West Branch. In 1892 he persuaded the Detroit and Mackinac Railroad to build a branch line to serve the area's lumbering operations. The entire Churchill settlement relocated here that year and was platted as Rose City. The community was officially incorporated as a city in 1905.
The Big Fire
In the early morning hours of April 3, 1910, the booming lumber town of Rose City went up in flames as fire raged through the commercial district. Starting in D.W. Benjamin's grocery store on the south side of West Main Street, the fire quickly spread. Despite the efforts of a bucket brigade, the fire jumped across the street and swept down the north side. As most of the buildings were of frame construction, it took less than an hour for the entire business
district to burn. The town lost over thirty buildings. Property losses, attributed to the fire and looting, totaled an estimated $175,000. Two concrete buildings on the Main Street, those that housed Bell's Store and Naylor's Store, were the only businesses to survive the fire.
By Joel Seewald, July 2006
2. Rose City / The Big Fire Marker
Erected 2002 by Michigan Historical Commission - Michigan Historical Center. (Marker Number L2107.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 44° 25.487′ N, 84° 6.972′ W. Marker is in Rose City, Michigan, in Ogemaw County. Marker is on North Williams Street (State Highway 33) 0.2 miles north of Main Street (County Route F-28), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. The marker is at Houghton Creek next to the Rose City City Hall sign. Marker is at or near this postal address: 410 North Williams Street, Rose City MI 48654, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Rose Township District No. 5 School (approx. 4.6 miles away).
Categories. • Disasters • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 24, 2017. This page originally submitted on January 24, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 207 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 24, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Far view of this marker. • Can you help?