Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Merritt Island in Brevard County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

St. Luke's Episcopal Church

 
 
St. Luke's Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, December 31, 2013
1. St. Luke's Episcopal Church Marker
Inscription. St. Luke's Episcopal Church of Courtenay was formed by the Porcher, LaRoche, Sams and other families that settled on north Merritt Island after leaving the Charleston, South Carolina area in 1875 due to the loss of their homes and plantations during the Civil War. The first services were held in 1879 in a store building on the bank of the Indian River. In 1888, Edward Porcher donated property for the site of St. Lukes Episcopal Church. It was built with a $600 donation from Lucy Boardman of New Haven, Connecticut, along with the donated labor of parishioners. The Florida Gothic style, common architecture for Episcopal churches in Florida at the time, was a board and batten wooden 600-square-foot structure built of locally milled hand-planed island pine and cypress with a steep gabled roof and square bell tower. During the early years, the church did not have a vicar. Ministers from churches in Cocoa and Titusville traveled by boat to hold monthly services, while members led the weekly services. The chapel is still used for mid-week and special services. The church is surrounded on three sides by an historic cemetery. The church was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1990.
 
Erected 2003 by The Brevard County Historical Commission, The Brevard County Tourist Development Council
St. Luke's Episcopal Church Marker, church and cemetery image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, December 31, 2013
2. St. Luke's Episcopal Church Marker, church and cemetery
and the Floirda Department of State. (Marker Number F-574.)
 
Location. 28° 27.45′ N, 80° 42.991′ W. Marker is in Merritt Island, Florida, in Brevard County. Marker is at the intersection of North Tropical Trail and Church Road, on the left when traveling north on North Tropical Trail. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5555 North Tropical Trail, Merritt Island FL 32953, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. John H. Sams Homestead (approx. 1.1 miles away); Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church of Merritt Island & Community Cemetery (approx. 1.1 miles away); Saturn V (approx. 5 miles away); SATAN Tracking Antenna (approx. 5.1 miles away); Ulumay (approx. 6.4 miles away); Port Canaveral Historic Milestones (approx. 6.8 miles away); a different marker also named Port Canaveral Historic Milestones (approx. 6.8 miles away); a different marker also named Port Canaveral Historic Milestones (approx. 6.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Merritt Island.
 
Categories. Churches & Religion
 
St. Luke's Episcopal Cemetery graves image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, December 31, 2013
3. St. Luke's Episcopal Cemetery graves
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 28, 2017. This page originally submitted on January 24, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 196 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on January 24, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement