Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
LaGrange in Brevard County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

LaGrange Community Church

 
 
LaGrange Community Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, December 22, 2016
1. LaGrange Community Church Marker
Inscription. Founded by Tom Johnson Cockshutt in 1869, this was the first organized Protestant Church on the East Coast of Florida between New Smyrna and Key West. Tom donated land for a cemetery and built a small log structure located on what is now the northern part of LaGrange Cemetery. It was used as a public meeting place, church, and the first public school in Brevard County. In 1872 a two-story structure of vertical logs was built on the present site. The first floor was used as a church and the second floor for public meetings and a schoolhouse. In 1893 the second story was removed, a bay window was added between the two front doors, and horizontal boards were placed over the vertical logs, encompassing the old structure within the walls of the new. Depicted on one of the eight memorial windows are the names of those who built the church: J.N. Feaster; J.C.C. Feaster; Tom J. Cockshutt; W.S. Norwood; B.J. Mims; R. Singleton; and W.P. Day. The first ordained pastor was W.N. Chaudoin from 1871-1904. Several other congregations were formed from this small church that included: First Presbyterian of Titusville; Mims Methodist Church; and Greater St. James Missionary Baptist Church of Mims.
 
Erected 2005 by The Brevard County Historical Commission and the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-540.)
LaGrange Community Church Marker and church image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, December 22, 2016
2. LaGrange Community Church Marker and church

 
Location. 28° 38.376′ N, 80° 50.227′ W. Marker is in LaGrange, Florida, in Brevard County. Marker is at the intersection of Old Dixie Highway and Briarwood Lane, on the left when traveling south on Old Dixie Highway. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1575 Old Dixie Highway, Titusville FL 32796, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of the First Church (here, next to this marker); LaGrange Community Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); LaGrange/Mims Community Cemetery (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Oliver's Camp (approx. 0.7 miles away); Harry T. & Harriette V. Moore Memorial Homesite (approx. 1.2 miles away); Hernandez Trail (approx. 1.4 miles away); Greater St. James Missionary Baptist Church of Mims (approx. 1.6 miles away); Titusville Veteran's Memorial Fishing Pier (approx. 2.6 miles away).
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
 
Categories. Churches & Religion
 
LaGrange Community Church image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, December 22, 2016
3. LaGrange Community Church
Taken from marker looking east.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 1, 2017. This page originally submitted on February 1, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 122 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on February 1, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement