Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Penney Farms in Clay County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Town of Penney Farms 1927

 
 
Town of Penney Farms 1927 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, January 5, 2017
1. Town of Penney Farms 1927 Marker
Inscription. James Cash Penney (1876-1971), philanthropist and founder of J.C. Penney Department Stores, purchased 120,000 acres in Clay County and invited farmers to claim 40-acre tracts by clearing the land, building houses, growing crops and raising livestock. In 1922 Penney and associates formed the Florida Farms and Industries Company that planned, plated and registered 10,000 acres as Long Branch City, whose population rose to 825 in 1930 and is 654 in 2002. Here, in 1926, Penney built the Memorial Home Community to honor his parents. In 1927 the Florida State Legislature chartered the city as the Town of Penney Farms and in 1937 the town limits were reduced to 1,500 acres. The community consisted of a church building and 22 cottages based on French Norman architecture. Modest wood frame dwellings occupied by farmers contrasted with stately Norman-styled buildings. The Great Depression (1929) caused Mr. Penney to sell his holdings except 200 acres, which he deeded to the Memorial Home Community, and turned over its operation to the Christian Herald Foundation. In 1971 it became the self-sustaining Penney Retirement Community, Inc., and in 1999 was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
 
Erected 2002 by The Town of Penney Farms and the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-465.)
Town of Penney Farms 1927 Marker looking east along FL 16. image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, January 5, 2017
2. Town of Penney Farms 1927 Marker looking east along FL 16.

 
Location. 29° 58.943′ N, 81° 48.387′ W. Marker is in Penney Farms, Florida, in Clay County. Marker is on State Road 16 just east of Polling Boulevard, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Penney Farms FL 32079, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hickory Grove Baptist Church and Cemetery (approx. 6.3 miles away); Thompson - Chalker Docks (approx. 6.8 miles away); Middleburg (approx. 6.8 miles away); Middleburg Methodist Church (approx. 6.8 miles away); Camp Chowenwaw (approx. 6.9 miles away); General Roy Stanley Geiger,United States Marine Corps (approx. 6.9 miles away); Fort Heilman (approx. 7.2 miles away); Old Clay County Courthouse (approx. 7.3 miles away).
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 1, 2017. This page originally submitted on January 31, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 115 times since then. Last updated on February 1, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 31, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement