Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fulda in Murray County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Fulda's Cannon

-3 Inch Ordnance Rifle-

 
 
Fulda's Cannon Marker (front) image. Click for full size.
By Ruth VanSteenwyk, May 24, 2016
1. Fulda's Cannon Marker (front)
Inscription.
Side 1
In 1892, Fulda was to host the Encampment of the GAR, Grand Army of the Republic, comprised of Union veterans of the Civil War. With enthusiasm mounting, the members of the Zach Taylor Post 42 and a majority of Fulda's citizens petitioned the Village Council to purchase a Civil War 3" ordnance rifle (or cannon). William M. Davis, Fulda's first Mayor, arranged with W. Stokes Kirk Company of Philadelphia, PA, to make the purchase at a cost of $155.00 including freight. It was received June 25, 1892, and fired that same year at the Encampment held just south of town.

On the muzzle are the initials of T.T.S. Laidley - Inspector of Ordnance, the serial number, manufacturer's initials, year it was made, and weight of the tube or barrel. "NJ" on the tube indicated that it was ordered by the New Jersey Militia, one of only nine that exists today. On one side the trunnion is marked "Phoenix Iron Co.", the manufacturer, and on the other side is the date of a patent granted for an improvement in the forging and welding process. The cannon itself was patented in 1855. Between January 1, 1861, and June 30, 1866, the federal government purchased 925 rifles of this type.

Side 2
At the turn of the century the cannon appeared at various parades and celebrations throughout the area including
Fulda's Cannon Marker (back) image. Click for full size.
By Ruth VanSteenwyk, May 24, 2016
2. Fulda's Cannon Marker (back)
Fulda's own Memorial Day and Fourth of July parades. It was fired on Armistice Day, November 11, 1918, and would not be heard again for decades. During the cannon's historical significance, the Fulda Village Council hid it from view, refusing to yield it to scrap. In 2001, the Fulda City Council saw the cannon in disrepair and decided to begin a restoration effort. Paulson Bros. Ordnance Co. of Clear Lake, WI, was hired to do the job, and after 83 years of silence the cannon's boom was heard again on May 12, 2001.

Bore Diameter - 3.0"
Tube Material - wrought iron
Tube Length - 73"
Tube Weight - 816 lbs.
Projectile Weight - 9.5 lbs.
Powder Charge - 1 lb.
Range at 5 degrees elevation - 1,835 yds.

This marker is dedicated to all who served their country with dignity and honor.
 
Erected 2004 by Fulda Heritage Society.
 
Location. 43° 52.342′ N, 95° 35.996′ W. Marker is in Fulda, Minnesota, in Murray County. Marker is on N Saint Paul Ave.. Touch for map. Marker and cannon located in a city park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 362 N Saint Paul Ave, Fulda MN 56131, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow
Fulda's Cannon Marker image. Click for full size.
By Ruth VanSteenwyk, May 24, 2016
3. Fulda's Cannon Marker
flies. Fulda Depot (approx. 0.2 miles away); Avoca (approx. 5.6 miles away).
 
Categories. Patriots & Patriotism
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 7, 2017. This page originally submitted on February 5, 2017, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 213 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on February 5, 2017, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement