Fulda in Murray County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Fulda's depot, the only surviving Eastlake - style two-story depot in southwestern Minnesota, was built in 1880 just to the southeast of the present location, on a platform between two sets of tracks. Boarding the train and loading freight was therefore an easy task. The Stationmaster and his family lived upstairs. In 1901 it was moved to its current site.
Fulda's first train, coming east from Jackson through Kinbrae arrived on September 7, 1879, on track laid by the Southern Minnesota Railroad Company (later known as the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railroad Company, or the Milwaukee Road, after that the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad Company). By 1881, tracks ran west through Iona Lake, Chandler, Edgerton, and Pipestone to Flandreau, South Dakota. Fulda was the division point for the Railroad, and had a roundhouse, turntable (built in 1880, re-build 1899), water tank, stockyards and coal bins. By 1901 the roundhouse was shut down when the division point was moved westward.
In 1895, four passenger and four freight trains passed through Fulda daily, with sometimes as many as four extras. Three hotels served travelers at Fulda, and later furnished box lunches when lunch breaks were no longer scheduled. The railroad hauled gravel, livestock, lumber, coal and goods for Fulda's growing retail
By the 1920s, growing popularity of automobiles and trucks decreased train use. Passenger service to Fulda ceased in 1963. Mail, grain and livestock freight also declined -- eventually to nothing -- after WWII. In September 1979, the last freight train came, almost 100 years to the day from the first train's arrival at Fulda. In 1980, the tracks were removed.
Erected by Fulda Heritage Society.
Location. 43° 52.176′ N, 95° 36.043′ W. Marker is in Fulda, Minnesota, in Murray County. Marker is at the intersection of E. Front St. and S St. Paul Ave. on E. Front St.. Touch for map. Marker is located in the parking lot of the depot museum. Marker is in this post office area: Fulda MN 56131, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fulda's Cannon (approx. 0.2 miles away); Avoca (approx. 5.8 miles away).
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on February 7, 2017. This page originally submitted on February 5, 2017, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 240 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 5, 2017, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.