Near Faulkton in Faulk County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
LaFoon 1882 - 1891
First county seat of Faulk County, when this area surveyed October 1882 by Albert Mellen, Louis Kniesel just south and F.M. McMullen, a mile west, were "squatting" on the land. First post office, Cecrops, Nora Reppy, postmistress, was established October 26 and changed to LaFoon, honoring Alexander LaFoon, an early comer and partner of Booth in a corner store in the booming town, near NW corner of Section 15-118-68.
In 1886 over 20 buildings including a school, Presbyterian church and the Court house, built for a saloon but bought by the County when the voters refused a license. Sylvia Smith, first school teacher, was also first Register of Deeds and later the wife of Judge J.H. Bottom, who came just after the survey. On November 5th, 1883, Governor Ordway appointed Humes, Jarvis & Humphrey to organize the county, which they did, designating LaFoon as County seat.
C.A. Ritter shot a buffalo that day nearby and buffalo steaks helped celebrate the event. LaFoon won the county seat contest of 1884 by three votes but when Faulkton became a two railroad town in 1887 lost out and moved almost entire to Faulkton. Its post office, the last vestige, was discontinued January 30, 1891. Early settlers in the LaFoon area were the Cornwell, Smith, Shaver, Lenhoff, Misfeldt, Hutchinson, Schenck and Turner families.
Location. 45° 2.436′ N, 99° 1.318′ W. Marker is near Faulkton, South Dakota, in Faulk County. Marker is on State Highway 45 0.1 miles south of 162nd St.. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Faulkton SD 57438, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Frank M. Byrne (approx. 4.7 miles away).
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on February 8, 2017. This page originally submitted on February 5, 2017, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 255 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 5, 2017, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.