Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Charleston in Montgomery County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Burton House

 
 
Burton House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Howard C. Ohlhous, January 28, 2017
1. Burton House Marker
Inscription.
This 1834 Side Hall Federal Style House
Was The Home of Judah and Susan Burton
The Child of Judah and Eunice Burton
For Whom The Hamlet of Burtonville
Was Named


 
Erected by History Department, Charleston, New York.
 
Location. 42° 48.401′ N, 74° 15.564′ W. Marker is in Charleston, New York, in Montgomery County. Marker is on Burtonville Rd (County Route 127), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2025 Burtonville Rd, Esperance, NY 12066, Esperance NY 12066, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Burtonville (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mill Stones (about 600 feet away); Amos Clayton (about 700 feet away); Grist Mill (approx. 0.2 miles away); Eatons Corners Post Office & Store (approx. 0.7 miles away); Tory Tree Site (approx. 0.8 miles away); County Line Meeting House (approx. one mile away); Baptist Church (approx. 2.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Charleston.
 
Regarding Burton House. In 1785 Judah Burton Sr. erected the first saw mill and grist mill in this community
Burton House & Marker image. Click for full size.
By Howard C. Ohlhous, January 28, 2017
2. Burton House & Marker
located in the southeast corner of the Town of Charleston in Montgomery County. In 1790 he had the first bridge across the Schoharie Creek erected. A toll bridge, it brought many people to the mills along the creek fueled by the natural falls. His home still remains today near the site of the mills along the creek. Mudges Hollow became Eaton Corners, then in 1837 the name was changed to Burtonville (without the 's') in honor of Judah Burton Sr. In 1850 Judah Burton, Jr. built a sawmill, one of the many that flooding periodically took out along with bridges and other factories that had developed there. After a flood in 1870 which washed away the lumber, grist, and carding mills, and other factories, Burtonsville (the s having worked its way in) declined. In 1834 Judah Burton Jr. built the Burton House.
 
Also see . . .  Judah Burton House, Burtonsville, NY. (Submitted on February 14, 2017, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.)
 
Additional keywords. Burtonsville
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers
 
The Burton House in Burtonville image. Click for full size.
By Howard C. Ohlhous, May 3, 2010
3. The Burton House in Burtonville
The Burton House in Burtonville image. Click for full size.
By Howard C. Ohlhous, April 24, 2010
4. The Burton House in Burtonville
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 15, 2017. This page originally submitted on February 14, 2017, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 491 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 14, 2017, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement