Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Decatur in Wise County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Texas Tourist Camp Complex

 
 
Texas Tourist Camp Complex Texas Historical Marker image. Click for full size.
By QuesterMark, January 2, 2016
1. Texas Tourist Camp Complex Texas Historical Marker
Inscription. Local businessman E.F. Boydston (1888-1945) purchased this site, a former feed lot, in 1927 for $400. Recognizing a potential business opportunity in offering services to the traveling public, he built a wooden shed and gas station in 1927. Travelers were allowed to build campfires during overnight stays, and by 1931 Boydston added three wooden cabins with garages to the camp complex. The buildings later were faced with rock, and more cabins and garages were added in 1935. The original wooden gas station was covered with petrified wood in 1935 when the highway was widened and remained in operation by the Boydston family until 1988.

The Texas Lunchroom, a one-room frame building, was built in 1929. Renamed the Texas Cafe in 1935 and faced with stone to match other buildings in the complex, it was enlarged to provide second-floor living quarters. Popular with local high school and college students, as well as families and the traveling public, it was closed in the 1960s after a highway bypass built west of town diverted traffic from this area. The cafe reopened in 1993. One of the few intact examples of tourist camps built throughout Texas in the mid-20th century, this property is significant for its association with the early development of automobile tourism.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1995
Texas Tourist Camp Complex image. Click for full size.
By QuesterMark, January 2, 2016
2. Texas Tourist Camp Complex

 
Erected 1995 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 5275.)
 
Location. 33° 13.724′ N, 97° 34.726′ W. Marker is in Decatur, Texas, in Wise County. Marker is at the intersection of Business U.S. 287 and East Hale Avenue, on the left when traveling north on U.S. 287Business . Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 904 US-287 Bus, Decatur TX 76234, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Episcopal Mission of the Ascension (approx. 0.4 miles away); Old Stone Prison (approx. half a mile away); Wise County Messenger (approx. half a mile away); Wise County War Memorial (approx. 0.6 miles away); Charles Vernon Terrell (approx. 0.6 miles away); Randolph Vesey (approx. 0.6 miles away); Wise County C.S.A. (approx. 0.6 miles away); Captain George W. Stevens (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Decatur.
 
Additional keywords. automobile topics; buildings; inns, hotels, motels
 
Categories. Industry & Commerce
 
Texas Tourist Camp Complex Marker image. Click for full size.
By James R. Murray, September 19, 2017
3. Texas Tourist Camp Complex Marker
Additional marker indicating placement of the site on the National Register of Historic Places.
Texas Tourist Camp Complex Petrified Wood Station image. Click for full size.
By QuesterMark, January 2, 2016
4. Texas Tourist Camp Complex Petrified Wood Station
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 21, 2017. This page originally submitted on February 22, 2017, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 250 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on February 22, 2017, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas.   3. submitted on September 19, 2017, by James R. Murray of Elkton, Florida.   4. submitted on February 22, 2017, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement