Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lapeer in Lapeer County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Lapeer Public Library

 
 
Lapeer Public Library Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, February 23, 2017
1. Lapeer Public Library Marker
Inscription. Founded in 1859, the Lapeer Ladies Library Association gathered the community's first collection of books for lending. The popularity of the collection led the Carnegie Foundation to offer $10,000 to build a public library in 1916. In part through the efforts of Congressman Louis Cramton, a larger Carnegie grant was secured in 1921. The citizens of Lapeer provided the remainder of the funds needed to construct this Georgian Revival building. Designed by the prominent Detroit firm of Smith, Hinchman and Grylls, the library opened in 1923. In 1981 it was renamed to honor Newberry Award winning children's author and illustrator Marguerite de Angeli who was born in Lapeer in 1889.
 
Erected 2000 by Michigan Historical Center, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L2069.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
 
Location. 43° 3.075′ N, 83° 19.079′ W. Marker is in Lapeer, Michigan, in Lapeer County. Marker is at the intersection of West Nepessing Street and North Washington Street, on the right when traveling east on West Nepessing Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 921 West Nepessing Street, Lapeer MI 48446, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
Lapeer Public Library and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, February 23, 2017
2. Lapeer Public Library and Marker
At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Marguerite deAngeli Branch Library (within shouting distance of this marker); The Tuttle House (approx. mile away); Protecting the Impaired (approx. 0.4 miles away); Lapeer County (approx. 0.4 miles away); James Richardson, D.O. a generous gentleman. (approx. 8.6 miles away); Columbiaville Depot (approx. 8.6 miles away); United Methodist Church (approx. 8.6 miles away); The William Peter Mansion (approx. 8.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lapeer.
 
Also see . . .  Marguerite deAngeli Branch History. (Submitted on February 24, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.)
 
Categories. Arts, Letters, Music
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 24, 2017. This page originally submitted on February 24, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 191 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on February 24, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.
Paid Advertisement