Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Richville in Tuscola County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Frankenhilf

 
 
Frankenhilf Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, February 22, 2017
1. Frankenhilf Marker
Inscription. In 1849 Pastor Ferdinand Sievers of Bay County purchased over fifteen hundred acres of virgin forest here in Tuscola County to establish a colony of immigrants from revolution-torn Germany. A year later two families under the leadership of Pastor Herman Kuehn settled in this area. They named their community Frankenhilf, combining Franconia, a district of Bavaria, and hilf meaning assistance. Despite severe hardships, the colony slowly grew and in 1851 organized St. Michael's Lutheran Church. Vexed by the seemingly odd name of the fertile farm area, postal authorities referred to Frankenhilf as "Richville" which became the village's official name in 1862. St. Michael's Lutheran Church, the nucleus of the early colony, still holds worship services in both English and German.
 
Erected 1977. (Marker Number L540.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
 
Location. 43° 24.514′ N, 83° 40.768′ W. Marker is in Richville, Michigan, in Tuscola County. Marker is at the intersection of South Van Buren Road and Sanilac Road (Route 46), on the right when traveling north on South Van Buren Road. Touch for map. Marker is also 0.1 mile south
Frankenhilf Marker and St. Michael's Lutheran Church image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, February 22, 2017
2. Frankenhilf Marker and St. Michael's Lutheran Church
of West Saginaw Road (Route 15). Marker is at or near this postal address: 3455 South Van Buren Road, Richville MI 48758, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Bavarian Colony of Frankenhilf (within shouting distance of this marker); Frankenmuth Woolen Mill (approx. 6.3 miles away); Frankenmuth Bavarian Inn Restaurant (approx. 6.4 miles away); Frankenmuth Bavarian Inn (approx. 6 miles away); Michigan's German Settlers (approx. 6 miles away); Watrous General Store (approx. 8.3 miles away); Juniata House (approx. 8.3 miles away); Watrousville United Methodist Church (approx. 8 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Frankenhilf History. (Submitted on February 25, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.)
 
Categories. Churches & ReligionSettlements & Settlers
 
St. Michael's Lutheran Church image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, February 22, 2017
3. St. Michael's Lutheran Church
View from the parking lot.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 25, 2017. This page originally submitted on February 25, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 188 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on February 25, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. View of the church from Sanilac Road (M-46). • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement