Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Jackson in Clarke County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Jackson Prisoner of War Camp

 
 
Jackson Prisoner of War Camp Marker (Side 1) image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, February 25, 2017
1. Jackson Prisoner of War Camp Marker (Side 1)
Inscription.
Side 1
Just west of this spot, along Ocre Ave. on a 10-acre tract, was the site of a WWII prisoner of war camp. The camp was one of twenty such labor camps in Alabama. Hdqrs. for the camp was at Camp Shelby in Hattisburg, MS. The camp was opened on April 6, 1945 under the command of 1st Lt. Larry Sykes with a contingent of 50 soldier guards and support personnel. Guards were all disabled veterans. 253 German POWs were incarcerated here. Many were members of the famed Afrika Korps commanded by Field Marshal Erwin Rommel, the “Desert Fox”, and were captured in North Africa. Camp facilities consisted of prison barracks, mess hall, bathhouse, recreation hall and
(Continued on other side)

Side 2
(Continued from other side)

guards housing. Local men away serving in the armed forces created labor shortages and the prisoners were contracted out to work for M. W. Smith Lumber Co., Scotch Lumber Co. and other timber-related interests in the area. Prisoners earned $.80 per day. Many local citizens remembered the prisoners as being hard workers, well-mannered and good-looking men. Lt. Sykes was transferred and discharged from the service and 1st Lt. Homer Cooper assumed command of the camp. The camp was officially closed
Jackson Prisoner of War Camp Marker (Side 2) image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, February 25, 2017
2. Jackson Prisoner of War Camp Marker (Side 2)
on March 12, 1946 and the prisoners were transferred to other camps. Little evidence remains of the campsí existence and the site is now occupied by commercial structures.
 
Erected 2005 by Clarke County Historical Society.
 
Location. 31° 31.902′ N, 87° 53.491′ W. Marker is in Jackson, Alabama, in Clarke County. Marker is at the intersection of College Avenue (Alabama Route 177) and Ocre Avenue, on the right when traveling south on College Avenue. Touch for map. Located at south side of the Clarke Mobile Counties Gas Company parking lot. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2003 College Avenue, Jackson AL 36545, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Kimbell House (approx. 0.2 miles away); First District Agricultural College and Experiment Station (approx. 1.3 miles away); C S A Brooke Cannon S-96 (approx. 1.7 miles away); Jackson (approx. 1.7 miles away); City of Jackson (approx. 1.7 miles away); The Clarke County War Memorial (approx. 1.7 miles away); The Taylor House (approx. 4.2 miles away); Upper Salt Works (approx. 5.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jackson.
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceNotable PlacesWar, World II
 
Jackson Prisoner of War Camp Marker looking south on College Avenue. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, February 25, 2017
3. Jackson Prisoner of War Camp Marker looking south on College Avenue.
View from area of POW camp towards College Avenue. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, February 25, 2017
4. View from area of POW camp towards College Avenue.
Ocre Avenue begins right at this parking lot, running to U.S. Highway 43 northerly.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 27, 2017. This page originally submitted on February 26, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 106 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 26, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement