Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Angels Camp in Calaveras County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Ol’ Beth

 
 
Ol' Beth Marker image. Click for full size.
By James King, December 24, 2016
1. Ol' Beth Marker
Inscription. This Best 110 hp steam traction engine, built 1903-1906, was originally used by Pacific Borax Co. to pull ore wagons. The next owner was the Dixie Mill, near Sheep Ranch, where it was used to haul logs down the steep hillsides to the loading deck. The mill was purchased by Giacomo Oneto in 1923, and Ol' Beth was used there until the mill closed in the late 1940s. The passage of the Timber and Stone Act in 1878 allowed for the individual acquisition of 160-acre parcels of timbered land, and speculators made agreements with patentees, assembling vast tracts of prime, virgin groves of timber for sawmill investors. In the higher elevations, logging became a significant local industry in the 1890s through the 1940s.
 
Erected by Angels Camp Museum, sponsored by Native Sons of the Golden West in memory of esteemed member Millard Smallin.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West marker series.
 
Location. 38° 4.528′ N, 120° 32.741′ W. Marker is in Angels Camp, California, in Calaveras County. Marker is on South Main Street (California Route 49), on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. This marker is on the side of the horseshoe driveway on the
Ol' Beth image. Click for full size.
By James King, December 24, 2016
2. Ol' Beth
south side of the property. Marker is at or near this postal address: 753 South Main Street, Angels Camp CA 95222, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Stalactite/Stalagmite (here, next to this marker); Serpentine Drill Core Section (here, next to this marker); Signal Cannon/Utica Mine Ore Car/Arrastra Model (a few steps from this marker); Bells (a few steps from this marker); Camp 9 Powerhouse Pelton Wheel (a few steps from this marker); Just Jenny (a few steps from this marker); Hogarth Stamp Mill (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named The Hogarth Stamp Mill (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Angels Camp.
 
Also see . . .  Holt Mfg Co. & CL Best Tractor Merge. Caterpillar Tractor Co. formed in 1925 with the merger of two competitors: Holt Manufacturing Company out of Stockton, CA and C.L. Best Tractor Co. of San Leandro, CA. Both companies got their start in California in the 1800s. Each paralleled the other in the developing race towards mechanized farming, first through combined harvesters, then steam traction engines, and finally the track-laying crawlers that would become known as the "caterpillar". As the founders passed their businesses
Ol' Beth image. Click for full size.
By James King, December 24, 2016
3. Ol' Beth
on to their sons, each company encountered special projects and markets that would capture their attention and distinguish them from the other.
(Submitted on February 26, 2017, by James King of San Miguel, California.) 
 
Categories. Horticulture & ForestryIndustry & Commerce
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 5, 2017. This page originally submitted on February 26, 2017, by James King of San Miguel, California. This page has been viewed 214 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on February 26, 2017, by James King of San Miguel, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement