Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Caro in Tuscola County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Tuscola County Courthouse

 
 
Tuscola County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, February 22, 2017
1. Tuscola County Courthouse Marker
Inscription. Peter DeWitt Bush (1818-1913), the second permanent resident of the village of Caro, donated this site for the county courthouse square in 1866. Then he, along with two other pioneer settlers, moved an old frame church to the site to serve as the county's first courthouse. In 1873 the county replaced the former church with a brick courthouse that served the community's needs until 1932, when the present Art Deco style structure was completed. Designed by Detroit architect William H. Kuni and built by Cecil M. Kelly, a Caro native, the courthouse is faced with Indiana limestone. Situated on the same site as the old brick courthouse, this $180,000 structure was completely paid for when it was dedicated on January 24, 1933, by means of a one-mill, five-year tax levy
 
Erected 1984 by Michigan History Division, Department of State. (Marker Number L1045.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
 
Location. 43° 29.459′ N, 83° 23.61′ W. Marker is in Caro, Michigan, in Tuscola County. Marker is at the intersection of North State Street (State Highway 81) and East Sherman Street, on the right when traveling east on North State Street. Touch for map
Tuscola County Courthouse and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, February 22, 2017
2. Tuscola County Courthouse and Marker
. Marker is at or near this postal address: 440 North State Street, Caro MI 48723, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Tuscola County Advertiser (within shouting distance of this marker); Caro Masonic Temple (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Presbyterian Church of Caro (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Meeting of the Caro Rotary Club (approx. mile away); Trinity Episcopal Church (approx. mile away); William H. Carson House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Tuscola County Fair (approx. 0.6 miles away); Peninsular Sugar Refining Company (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Caro.
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
Tuscola County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, February 22, 2017
3. Tuscola County Courthouse
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 27, 2017. This page originally submitted on February 27, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 190 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on February 27, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.
Paid Advertisement