Saline in Washtenaw County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Saline Presbyterian Church
In 1831, Presbyterian families from Newark, New York, traveled by boat through the Erie Canal to Detroit. Settling in the Saline area, they held their first religious service on July 18, 1831. Thereafter, services were held in schoolhouses, homes, and other buildings until 1842 when they erected a frame structure on this site. In 1898 that building was replaced with the present church.
Built in 1898 with heavy cut stone foundations and rounded arches, the Saline Presbyterian Church reflects the influence of Romanesque Revival architecture. Detroit architects Frederick H. Spier and William C. Rohns designed the church, which was built by local contractor Conrad Schaffer and Son. The total cost for the building and furnishings was $5,981. The congregation restored the sanctuary interior in 1998.
Erected 1998 by Michigan Historical Center, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L1940.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 42° 10.028′ N, 83° 46.833′ W. Marker is in Saline, Michigan, in Washtenaw County. Marker is at the intersection of East Michigan Avenue (U.S. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 143 East Michigan Avenue, Saline MI 48176, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Davenport House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Lower Level of the Barn (approx. 3 miles away); Upper Level of the Barn (approx. 3 miles away); Hog House (approx. 3 miles away); Carriage House (approx. 3 miles away); Ice House (approx. 3 miles away); Pump House (approx. 3 miles away); Wood Shed (approx. 3 miles away).
Categories. • Architecture • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 1, 2017. This page originally submitted on March 1, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 151 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 1, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.