Gaithersburg in Montgomery County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
This 2-story building was built circa 1915 by JL Burns and was one of the first commercial properties constructed on East Diamond Avenue on the Gaithersburg Milling and Manufacturing site in the 20th century. According to the 1894 map, there had previously been a triangular building on this site. The Burns building was occupied by a post office and a confectionary store on the first floor and offices on the second floor. It was destroyed by fire in November of 1923.
The building was rebuilt on the current site circa 1924. It has been a restaurant and local bar since the 1930's, such as Offut's Beer Parlor, Frank Calloway's Restaurant and Jerry Barber's "Jerry's Restaurant."
In 1964, Khrystos (Chris) and Lillian Valanos rented the building from Frank Calloway. Later they purchased the building and remodeled it, covering the brick with paneling and a mansard-style cornice. Chris' Steakhouse served as an Olde Towne institution until it closed in 2006, which is the same year that Chris passed away.
Location. 39° 8.522′ N, 77° 11.676′ W. Marker is Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 201 East Diamond Avenue, Gaithersburg MD 20877, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. John A. Belt Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Station (about 400 feet away); Pythian Temple (about 400 feet away); The Early Years (about 500 feet away); Building The Future (about 500 feet away); The Schwartz House / Gaithersburg City Hall / Schwartz Peony Garden (about 500 feet away); The Business of Agriculture: (about 500 feet away); Supplying an Agricultural Community (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gaithersburg.
Categories. • Architecture • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 7, 2017. This page originally submitted on March 2, 2017, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 325 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on March 2, 2017, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 7. submitted on March 4, 2017, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.