Farragut Schools: Recent Years
Farragut has undergone many additions and modifications over the years. In 1917, the first county gymnasium was added to the campus, this giving Farragut's students superior athletic advantages. In 1923, a grammar school building was added as well as another addition to the high school in 1932. An auditorium was added in 1938 and a new gymnasium in 1941. A new elementary school was built in 1949, and the final addition to the high school on the original campus was completed in 1959.
With the end of the World War II and the Cold War, many employees of Oak Ridge National Laboratories remained in this area. This increase in population caused a change in the expectations of the parents and thus the curriculum that was offered at Farragut High School. The school moved away from its rural roots and started offering a more advanced curriculum
By the 1970s. Farragut had completely outgrown its original campus. In 1975, construction began on the new school. The $11 million facility was located on 55 acres overlooking the Farragut community. In 1983, the high school was one of 10 in the nation to receive a $10,000 special arts grant from the Rockefeller Foundation. On June 14, 1983, President Reagan visited the school. His three main objectives included a luncheon, briefing with then Tennessee Governor Lamar Alexander about Alexander's Master Teacher Plan, and visit to Shirley Mynatt's English class.
Today, Farragut is one of the largest high schools in Tennesse and maintains the degree of excellence that has been shown throughout its history. In 1990 and again in 2004, it was recognized by the College Board for the achievement and participation of students in the Advanced Placement Program. The school is among state leaders in producing Nation Merit Scholars and has been named by West Point Military Academy as a "Spotlight School".
Since its creation in 1904, Farragut High School has remained an important part of the Farragut community. With the help of associations such as the Parent Teacher Association, the Education Foundation, parent booster groups and community businesses, the future of the school looks bright. After over 100 years of being the "hub" of the Farragut
Erected by Farragut Museum.
Marker series. This marker is included in the History of the Farragut Area marker series.
Location. 35° 53.233′ N, 84° 9.983′ W. Marker is in Farragut, Tennessee, in Knox County. Marker can be reached from Campbell Station Road. Touch for map. This marker is location in Campbell Station Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 405 Campbell Station Road, Knoxville TN 37934, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Town of Farragut & Farragut Folklife Museum (here, next to this marker); Farragut Schools: Early Years (within shouting distance of this marker); The Battle of Campbell Station (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Historic Village of Concord (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named The Historic Village of Concord (about 500 feet away); Admiral David Glasgow Farragut (about 600 feet away); Pleasant Forest Church & Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Native American Settlement (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Farragut.
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 6, 2017. This page originally submitted on March 5, 2017, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 85 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 5, 2017, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.