First United Methodist Church
Congregation first used public school house, ca. 1805. The first building was erected, 1832, on Garrard St., then replaced by one on Scott St., 1843. Church split over slavery, 1846. M.E. Church South remained on Scott St,; Union M.E. group located at Fifth and Greenup. Two churches reunited, 1939. Jesse Grant, father of U.S. Grant had a pew here.
This Gothic structure erected, 1867, with Amos Shinkle as liberal donor. Burned; rebuilt, 1947. Pastors elected bishops: H.H. Kavanaugh, D.W. Clark, U.V.W. Darlington. Pastors 1939079: J.L. Murrell, W.A.E. Johnson, J.W. Worthington, W.P. Davis, C. A. Nunnery, A. J. Roberts, C. S. Perry, W.R. Yates, A. W. Gwinn.
Erected 1979 by Presented by a Friend Kentucky Historical Society Kentucky Department of Transportation. (Marker Number 1659.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Kentucky Historical Society marker series.
Location. 39° 5.175′ N, 84° 30.454′ W. Marker is in Covington, Kentucky, in Kenton County. Marker is at the intersection of Greenup Street and Fifth Street on Greenup Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Covington KY 41011, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 12, 2017. This page originally submitted on March 7, 2017, by Michael Baker of Lima, Ohio. This page has been viewed 76 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 7, 2017, by Michael Baker of Lima, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.