Carson City, Nevada — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Federal Government Building (1888-1970)
This imposing public structure, the former United States Post Office and Courthouse, represents the first federal office building constructed in the State of Nevada. Construction began in late 1888 and was completed in 1891 at a cost of $138, 605.53.
Designed by Mifflin E. Bell, Supervising Architect of the Treasury Department, the building incorporates many elements of the Romanesque Revival style. Subsequent interior designs were mad by Bellís successors, Will Frost and James Windrum.
Thomas P. Hawley was the first United States District Judge to preside in Carson City. The last federal judge was Bruce R. Thompson whose court was moved to Reno, August 1965.
This building ceased to serve as a post office in 1970 with William E. Dunfield as Postmaster. Deeded to the State in 1971 and listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979, the Government Building continues to serve the public.
Erected by Division of Historic Preservation & Archeology and Carson City Historical Commission. (Marker Number 75.)
Location. 39° 9.97′ N, 119° 46.006′ W. Marker is in Carson City, Nevada. Marker is at the intersection of North Carson Street and East Telegraph Street Touch for map. Marker is mounted on the center front column of the referenced building, at the main front entrance. This historic building currently houses offices of the Nevada Tourism Commission. Marker is at or near this postal address: 401 North Carson Street, Carson City NV 89701, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Pony Express Monument (here, next to this marker); The United States Mint Carson City, Nevada (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The United States Mint at Carson City, Nevada (about 500 feet away); Historic Fraternal Site of Carson City (about 600 feet away); Carson City (about 800 feet away); V & T, 1869-1950 (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. Peterís Episcopal Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Rinckel Mansion (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Carson City.
Also see . . .
1. Carson City History.
The magnificent 1890 Federal Building is a Carson City landmark. It has been renamed the Paul Laxalt building in honor of Nevada's former Governor and United States Senator.In 1933 the highway was paved through town, but for a long time afterward the kids could roller skate on it without worrying too much about traffic. In those innocent days Carson City advertised itself as America's smallest (Submitted on March 8, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Carson City: Old United States Post Office and Courthouse Building. (Submitted on March 8, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. Carson City Post Office.
The Carson City Post Office is an imposing late 19th-century building encompassing an entire block in the heart of Carson City. It was the second Federal building erected in Nevada (the first was the U.S. Mint), although it housed the third location of the Carson City Post Office. (Submitted on March 8, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Architecture • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 16, 2017. This page originally submitted on March 8, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 110 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 8, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.