Lincoln in Lancaster County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Humane Society Fountain
Refreshment for Dog, Horse and HumanÖ
This fountain was donated by the National Humane Alliance in 1908 after formation of Lincolnís Humane Society in January, 1907. It is one of at least 70 similar fountains placed in communities throughout the United States. The fountain includes a granite horse watering trough, lions head spigots, and small water basins at the base. It was originally placed in the center of M Street between 8th and 9th Streets. As cars became popular, the fountain was considered to be a traffic obstacle and was removed. It was placed in this location at 7th & Q Streets in 2006.
Location. 40° 48.959′ N, 96° 42.664′ W. Marker is in Lincoln, Nebraska, in Lancaster County. Marker is at the intersection of Q Street and North 7th Street, on the right when traveling west on Q Street. Touch for map. Marker is mounted directly on the subject fountain. Marker is in this post office area: Lincoln NE 68508, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lincoln's Founding Block (approx. 0.2 miles away); Original Site of St. Paul Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); U.S. Post Office and Courthouse (Old City Hall) (approx. ľ mile away); Osborne Athletic Complex "America's Mission" (approx. half a mile away); Mueller Tower at University of Nebraska-Lincoln (approx. half a mile away); Mammuthus Columbi (approx. 0.6 miles away); County - City Building (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lincoln.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
Also see . . . Humane Society Fountain. (Submitted on March 10, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Animals • Charity & Public Work • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 13, 2017. This page originally submitted on March 10, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 204 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 10, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.