Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Augusta in Richmond County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Two Early Augusta Churches

 
 
Two Early Augusta Churches Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, July 2008
1. Two Early Augusta Churches Marker
Inscription. St. John Methodist Church was founded in 1798 by Stith Mead, a young Virginia minister who denounced the worldliness of fun-loving Augusta. Biship Francis Asbury visited the church and watched its growth with particular interest. Augustus B. Lonstreet and five Methodist Bishops, including James O. Andrew, George F. Pierce, and Warren R. Candler, were pastors of St. John. Lorenzo Dow the colorful and eccentric evangelist, also figured in the early history of the church. In 1844, the original church building contructed in 1801, began a new phase in its ecclesiastical history when it was sold to another early congregation, the Springfield Baptist Church. The structure was moved to the S.E. corner of Reynolds and Marbury - where for approximately 50 years before, members of what is usually considered the first Negro Baptist Church in America at Silver Bluff, South Carolina had worshiped after they fled with their masters to Augusta when the British occupied Silver Bluff in 1778. These Silver Bluff - refugee- charter members of the circa 1790 Springfield Baptist congregation, account for its claim that it is one of the oldest, if not the oldest active Negro Baptist congregation in the United States
 
Erected 1964 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 121-45.)
 
Marker series.
Two Early Augusta Churches Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, 2008
2. Two Early Augusta Churches Marker
This marker is included in the Francis Asbury, Traveling Methodist Preacher, and the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 33° 28.37′ N, 81° 57.95′ W. Marker is in Augusta, Georgia, in Richmond County. Marker is on Greene Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 736 Greene St, Augusta GA 30901, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Baptist Church Convention ( about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The First Baptist Church ( about 300 feet away); Church Of The Most Holy Trinity ( about 400 feet away); Joseph R. Lamar, Associate Justice ( about 500 feet away); Boyhood Home of Woodrow Wilson ( about 500 feet away); Emily Tubman Monument ( about 500 feet away); Samuel Hammond ( about 600 feet away); First Christian Church ( about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Augusta.
 
Also see . . .
1. Wikipedia entry for Lorenzo Dow. His autobiography at one time was the second-best selling book in the United States, exceeded only by the Bible. He was an important figure in the Second Great Awakening. (Submitted on August 14, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.) 

2. Wikipedia entry for Augustus Baldwin Longstreet. He graduated at Yale (1813) and practiced
St John United Methodist Church‎ and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, 2008
3. St John United Methodist Church‎ and Marker
law in Georgia, becoming a district judge in 1822 and holding the position for several years, after which he resumed his legal practice in Augusta, did editorial work, and established the Sentinel, which soon merged with the Chronicle (1838). He became a Methodist minister and in a year was made president of Emory College (1839). (Submitted on August 14, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.) 

3. Reminiscences of Famous Georgians By Lucian Lamar Knight, pages 599-602. Bishop James O. Andrew (Submitted on August 14, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.) 
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Notable Places
 
St John United Methodist Church‎ image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, 2008
4. St John United Methodist Church‎
The marker is off picture to the left.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 13, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 964 times since then and 52 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 13, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement