Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Little Rock in Pulaski County, Arkansas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Porbeck & Bowman Building

(1882)

 
 
Porbeck & Bowman Building Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Masler, March 19, 2017
1. Porbeck & Bowman Building Marker
Inscription. Max Hilb and William Probst built this structure, designed by Joseph Willis, in 1882 for Probst & Hilb Liquor Company. The upper floor contained a two-story space that housed Concordia Hall, a Jewish social club. F. M. Fletcher and T.J. McCarthy purchased this building in 1909 and engaged architect Charles Thompson to convert the top story into two floors. Fletcher Coffee & Spice Company operated here until 1947. Purchased by George F. Porbeck in 1951, the building housed various businesses until Porbeck's heirs, including Herschel A. Bowman, leased it to the Budget Office Furniture Company in 1971.

Capital improvement bonds approved by Little Rock voters in 2004 and 2007 made possible the adaptive reuse of the building by the Central Arkansas Library System. Construction was completed in February 2009.
 
Location. 34° 44.847′ N, 92° 15.97′ W. Marker is in Little Rock, Arkansas, in Pulaski County. Marker is on President Clinton Avenue just west of River Market Avenue, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 401 President Clinton Avenue, Little Rock AR 72201, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Concordia Hall and Jewish Life in Little Rock (a few steps from this marker); Geyer & Adams Building
Porbeck & Bowman Building On ASI Building image. Click for full size.
By Steve Masler, March 19, 2017
2. Porbeck & Bowman Building On ASI Building
(within shouting distance of this marker); Augustus Hill Garland (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The "Little Rock" (about 600 feet away); Tuf-Nut Lofts (about 700 feet away); First Site: Arkansas College of Medicine (approx. 0.3 miles away); Freedom Riders in Little Rock (approx. 0.3 miles away); Gilbert Maxwell Aronson (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Little Rock.
 
More about this marker. Located on the Arkansas Studies Institute
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
 
Also see . . .  The ASI Building. (Submitted on March 19, 2017, by Steve Masler of Memphis, Tennessee.)
 
Additional keywords. Judaism
 
Categories. ArchitectureFraternal or Sororal Organizations
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 21, 2017. This page originally submitted on March 19, 2017, by Steve Masler of Memphis, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 99 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 19, 2017, by Steve Masler of Memphis, Tennessee. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement