Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Baltimore, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Mount Vernon Place Methodist Church-Asbury House

 
 
Mount Vernon Place Methodist Church-Asbury House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, March 26, 2017
1. Mount Vernon Place Methodist Church-Asbury House Marker
Inscription. This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior.
 
Location. 39° 17.871′ N, 76° 36.904′ W. Marker is in Baltimore, Maryland. Marker is on East Mount Vernon Place. Touch for map. The Ashbury House marker is to the left of the door and the National Register of Historic Places is to the right of the door. Marker is at or near this postal address: 10 East Mount Vernon Place, Baltimore MD 21202, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Francis Scott Key (a few steps from this marker); Mount Vernon Cultural Walk-Celebrating Culture (a few steps from this marker); Mount Vernon Place United Methodist Church (within shouting distance of this marker); A Monumental Mistake (within shouting distance of this marker); Mount Vernon Cultural Walk-Contributing to Society (within shouting distance of this marker); Roger B. Taney Monument (was within shouting distance of this marker but has been reported permanently removed. ); The Peabody Institute and George Peabody Library (within shouting distance of this marker); Romance of a Romantic (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Baltimore.
 
Also see . . .
Mount Vernon Place Methodist Church-Asbury House-National Register of Historic Places Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, March 26, 2017
2. Mount Vernon Place Methodist Church-Asbury House-National Register of Historic Places Marker
 Mt. Vernon Place United Methodist Church and Asbury House (Schumacher-Eaton House). Maryland Historical Trust, National Register Form, MHT B-81.

“Niernsee and Neilson, the Baltimore architectural firm, designed a number of the neighboring structures on Mt. Vernon Place and were the architects for Asbury House . Originally built for Albert Schumacher, a local shipping magnate and President of the Board of Trade, Asbury House has been converted into church offices and group meetings. Built c. 1850, the house was sold in 1893 to George von Lingen, the German consul in Baltimore, who is credited with remodeling •the second floor library. He •employed German laborers for the intricate carvings and ceiling painting. Mr. and Mrs. Charles Ellet Rieman were the last residents prior to the purchase by the trustees of the Mt. Vernon Place United Methodist Church of the house, named for Bishop Asbury &rdauo; -- National Register Form (Submitted on June 20, 2017, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.) 
 
Categories. Churches & Religion
 
Mount Vernon Place Methodist Church-Asbury House image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, March 26, 2017
3. Mount Vernon Place Methodist Church-Asbury House
Mount Vernon Place Methodist Church next to the Asbury House image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, March 26, 2017
4. Mount Vernon Place Methodist Church next to the Asbury House
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 22, 2017. This page originally submitted on March 27, 2017, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 78 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 27, 2017, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement