Graniteville in Aiken County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
William Gregg, the founder of Graniteville. Born February 2, 1800, Died September 12, 1867
Location. 33° 33.944′ N, 81° 48.488′ W. Marker is in Graniteville, South Carolina, in Aiken County. Marker is on Canal Street near Marshall Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Graniteville SC 29829, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. 200th Anniversary of the United States (within shouting distance of this marker); Graniteville Mill (within shouting distance of this marker); Graniteville Train Derailment (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Graniteville Cemetery (approx. ¾ mile away); WW I Memorial (approx. 0.8 miles away); Pickens - Salley House (approx. 2.2 miles away); Robert M. Bell Parkway (approx. 2.4 miles away); Aiken Hospital / Aiken County Hospital (approx. 4.5 miles away); Highland Park Hotel (approx. 4.7 miles away); Coker Spring (approx. 4.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Graniteville.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
Also see . . .
1. South Carolina Business Hall of Fame. William (Submitted on August 14, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
2. William Gregg. William Gregg (1800-September 13, 1867) was an ardent advocate of industrialization in antebellum Southern United States. (Submitted on March 16, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
3. William Gregg (1800–1867). William Gregg, jeweler, watchsmith, champion of industry, and founder of the Graniteville Company, was known as the father of Southern cotton manufacturing. (Submitted on March 16, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 14, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,549 times since then and 56 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 14, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.