Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
San Rafael in Marin County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

St. Vincent's School for Boys

 
 
St. Vincent's School for Boys Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, March 27, 2017
1. St. Vincent's School for Boys Marker
Inscription. In 1853, Timothy Murphy, Irish born pioneer of Marin County, gave 317 acres of land to Archbishop Alemany for educational purposes. Here the Sister of Charity in 1855 founded a school now called St. Vincent's School for Boys. It has been maintained and enlarged by successive Archbishops of San Francisco.
 
Erected 1958 by California State Park Commission in cooperation with the Marin Committee on History and Landmarks of the of the Native Sons ad Native Daughters of the Golden West. (Marker Number CHL 630.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West marker series.
 
Location. 38° 2.086′ N, 122° 31.617′ W. Marker is in San Rafael, California, in Marin County. Marker is on St. Vincents Drive near Highway 101, in the median. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1 St. Vincents Drive, San Rafael CA 94903, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Dixie Schoolhouse (approx. 1.1 miles away); Lloyd Andrews Hamilton (approx. 1.6 miles away); William A. Richardson (approx. 2.4 miles away); Marin County Civic Center
St. Vincent's School for Boys Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, March 27, 2017
2. St. Vincent's School for Boys Marker
(approx. 2.6 miles away); Bradford House (approx. 4 miles away); The Gate House (approx. 4.1 miles away); The Log Cabin (approx. 4.1 miles away); Falkirk Community Cultural Center (approx. 4.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Rafael.
 
Also see . . .  St. Vincent's Then and Now The school in today's headlines dates back 150 years - Marin Magazine. Here’s the story: on his deathbed, San Rafael land grantee Timothy Murphy promised 317 acres of land to Joseph Alemany, the first Archbishop of San Francisco. But as with any good Irishman, there was a catch to Murphy’s offer: the acreage would revert back to Murphy’s heirs unless a school was operating on the premises within two years. And as often happens, the best man for the job was . . . a woman. At the time, however, Sister Frances McEnnis was living with the Sisters of Charity of Saint Vincent de Paul in Emmitsburg, Maryland. (Submitted on April 2, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.) 
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Education
 
St. Vincent's Church image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, March 27, 2017
3. St. Vincent's Church
St. Vincent's School for Boys image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, March 27, 2017
4. St. Vincent's School for Boys
St. Vincent's School for Boys image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, March 27, 2017
5. St. Vincent's School for Boys
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 2, 2017. This page originally submitted on April 2, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 105 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 2, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.
Paid Advertisement