New Orleans in Orleans Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
114 Magazine Street
114 Magazine Street stands on property donated by noted philanthropist Paul Tulane to Tulane University on June 30, 1882. This property was part of the donation by Mr. Tulane which created Tulane University in 1882.
114 Magazine was designed by the noted architecture firm of Sully and Tolendano in 1892 for the administrators of the Tulane Educational Fund. The building was completed in 1893 to house the headquarters of Dwyer Bros. wholesale dealers in dry goods, one of the largest trading companies in the south.
In 1996, Hotel Partners, L.L.C., composed of Pat Bossetta, Marc Dorsey and G. Paul Dorsey, Jr. saved this building from demolition. After receiving historical recognition from the city, an extensive restoration was begun. In 2004 the renovation was completed and the structure once again stands as an important example of New Orleans turn-of-the-century architecture.
Location. 29° 57.07′ N, 90° 4.043′ W. Marker is in New Orleans, Louisiana, in Orleans Parish. Marker is at the intersection of Magazine Street and Common Street, on the left when traveling south on Magazine Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: New Orleans LA 70130, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker United States Customhouse (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Canal Street Historic District (about 400 feet away); Bank’s Arcade (about 500 feet away); Whitney National Bank (about 600 feet away); Bank of Louisiana in New Orleans (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Birthplace of “Dixie” (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of the St. Charles Theaters (approx. 0.2 miles away); U.S. Branch Bank (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Orleans.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 7, 2017. This page originally submitted on April 7, 2017, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 181 times since then and 54 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 7, 2017, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.