New Orleans in Orleans Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
part of the notable
block – long structure,
Erected in 1833 by
Charles F. Zimpel, Architect
A glass-roofed arcade extended
from Natchez to Gravier Streets,
The upper stories of this corner building
contained John Hewlett’s restaurant.
On October 13, 1835, a committee of
New Orleans friends of Texas met in
Bank’s Arcade to plan operations to aid
the Texas revolution. These buildings
restored in 1941 by J. Aron & Co., Inc.
Emilio Levy, Architect
Restored again in 1999
By St. James Hotel, L.L.C.
Milton J. Womack, Inc. Contractors
Location. 29° 56.991′ N, 90° 4.067′ W. Marker is in New Orleans, Louisiana, in Orleans Parish. Marker is at the intersection of Magazine Street and Natchez Street, on the left when traveling south on Magazine Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 330 Magazine Street, New Orleans LA 70130, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 114 Magazine Street (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Whitney National Bank (about 700 feet away); Canal Street Historic District (about 800 feet away); United States Customhouse (about 800 feet away); Site of the St. Charles Theaters (approx. 0.2 miles away); Bank of Louisiana in New Orleans (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lafayette Square (approx. 0.2 miles away); Gálvez Monument (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Orleans.
More about this marker. The building is now the St. James Hotel
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 7, 2017. This page originally submitted on April 7, 2017, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 302 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 7, 2017, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.