The Old Library
The Old Library was designed by Philadelphia architect, Frank Furness, and built by the New Castle Library Company in 1892.
The Library Company, chartered in 1812, had housed its collection of classics and law books in the Academy (built in 1799) across the street. Originally, the library was private: borrowing privileges were limited to members and, it is believed, students at the Academy. In the 1940s, the library became a free public library open to everyone.
This library was replaced by a new library on Delaware Street in 1965. The Old Library was used by the sculptor Maurine Ligon as her home and studio from 1965 until her death in 1979.
Since 1982, the New Castle Historical Society has leased the building for use as a meeting place, library, and museum.
Erected by New Castle Historical Society.
Location. 39° 39.665′ N, 75° 33.789′ W. Marker is in New Castle, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker is on 3rd Street south of Harmony Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 38 East 3rd Street, New Castle DE 19720, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Captain John Evans (within shouting distance of this marker); Mary Wansey
Also see . . . Old Library Museum. (Submitted on April 8, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 8, 2017. This page originally submitted on April 8, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 89 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 8, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.