Fulton in Itawamba County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
Erected 2014 by the Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Mississippi State Historical Marker Program marker series.
Location. 34° 16.273′ N, 88° 24.392′ W. Marker is in Fulton, Mississippi, in Itawamba County. Marker is on East Owens Street east of South Rose Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Located near the end of a Dead End street. Marker is at or near this postal address: 203 East Owens Street, Fulton MS 38843, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Cedars (approx. 0.2 miles away); Jimmie Lunceford (approx. 0.2 miles away); Early Church Site (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fulton (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fulton Grammar School (approx. 0.3 miles away); Itawamba Community College (approx. 0.4 miles away); Underground Railroad Bicycle Route (approx. 1.2 miles away); Fawn Grove School (approx. 6.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fulton.
Regarding Aeolian Grove. Aeolian Grove, located in Fulton's historic district near the town square, was built ca. 1842 by the Eckford family from Aberdeen in neighboring Monroe County. During the 1840's the home was sold to the Tannehill family who were recent immigrants from Scotland. The Tannehill family operated a store in partnership with Joshua Toomer at the corner of Main and South Gaither streets. During the 1800's Aeolian Grove was also home to the Cates, Baldridge and Orr families of Fulton.
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 11, 2017. This page originally submitted on April 11, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 161 times since then and 69 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 11, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.