Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Medina in Orleans County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

White's Hotel

345 Main Street

 
 
White's Hotel Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, April 21, 2017
1. White's Hotel Marker
Inscription. Known most commonly as White's Hotel, this building has had several different names throughout its history. Built by Botsford Fairman back in 1834, Fairman's Arcade housed a grocery, a bank, an insurance office and more. In 1869, it was sold to Johnathan A. Johnson of Yates, who turned it into the Johnson House Hotel.
In 1872, it was purchased by Henry S. Bancroft, renaming the Bancroft House. He remodeled the hotel and added a 60-foot tower and a mansard roof, creating an outstanding landmark. He also added a gas-illuminated clock in the tower (as seen in the above photo).
Albert H. White purchased the hotel in 1886, renaming it White's Hotel.
1n 1914, George F. Stein bought the hotel and renamed it Steinhof.
In 1917, the Salvation Army acquired the property as a residence for the homeless and destitute.
The hotel burned on January 4, 1924, and the ruins were bought two years later by M. Cady Lacy and Charles Haak who reduced the size to two stories, added a section in the back and started selling auto parts. It is currently the location of Napa Auto Parts owned by Craig Lacy.
 
Location. 43° 13.313′ N, 78° 23.209′ W. Marker is in Medina, New York, in Orleans County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of North Main
White's Hotel Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, April 21, 2017
2. White's Hotel Marker
Street (New York State Route 64) and Manilla Place. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Medina NY 14103, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Grover Cleveland & Frances Folsom (here, next to this marker); On This Site Circa 1919 Alonzo L. Waters (within shouting distance of this marker); The Last Blacksmith Shop in Orleans County (within shouting distance of this marker); Frederick Douglass (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Medina Sandstone (about 300 feet away); Bent's Opera House - 1864 (about 500 feet away); Vietnam (about 600 feet away); Frances Folsom (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Medina.
 
More about this marker. Marker is a poster mounted inside the front window of Napa Auto Parts
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 21, 2017. This page originally submitted on April 21, 2017, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 254 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 21, 2017, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
Paid Advertisement